Comment if you visit for goodness sakes!

Comment if you visit for goodness sakes!

Subscribe Now:

Tuesday, April 4, 2006

The Science of LOVE

So who else read the February issue of National Geographic? *I might be the only nerd on MySpace*
Weeeeellllll....as you can see it's about love. But not what you think. They break the whole thing down by chemical reactions in your brain.

Did you know that your brain creates massive amounts of Dopamine from the first month extending into the first year or so of a relationship? It certainly explains the euphoria, reckless behavior, and feeling of invincibility. Interestingly though, the brain in love is indistinguishable from the brain with OCD (Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder). Both brains create extremely low levels of Seratonin making being lovesick analgous to mental disease.

But Passion ends after the Dopamine surges wear off. We needed the passionate love to copulate, but it also creates the desire to breed. Doped up on Dopamine, couples tend to procreate and then bond over the "task" of raising a child (at least through infancy). Sadly, most couple break up after 4 years when the child is no longer a helpless infant. Some cultures balk at the thought of selecting a mate based on something so fleeting as passion.



There seems to be several years of not much happening at all, but by golly if we can make it to the decade or 15 year mark, we get more brain goodies from our partner. Couples that have grown to love each other over the time where there is no more *high* no more *cautious handling of the replicated DNA* get the whopper of all brain chemies, the Oxytocin. Oxytocin is a hormone that promotes a feeling of bonding and connection. It is the one that mothers release when nursing their babies.

Evolutionary Psychologists say attraction comes from health and body structure. Things like that 70 percent waist to hip ratio signifying fertility in a woman and a man with rugged features signifies a massive amount of Testosterone yielding a strong immunity for your child.

In a Swiss experiment asking 49 women to smell sweaty T-shirts previously worn by unidentified men revealed a similar result. The women rated the shirts from best-smelling to worst-smelling. The result: Women preferred the scent of a T-shirt worn by a man whose genotype was most different from hers. The result of this pairing of opposing genotypes is a child with a strong immune system.

Jogging in place when you first meet someone or riding a roller coaster on your first date will usually lead to more and more dates. Scientists believe that novelty triggers Dopamine and doing something novel with your date from the get go is more likely to *feed* the attraction. So remember, be silly and have fun and you might just fall in love!

Comments:
I didn't read that particular article, but yes, I did read the whole Dopamine deal in a medical journal that's out of England when I was doing some research about chemicals in our brains during love. You added some very interesting and salient information on this subject. I'm really interested in the sweaty t-shirt thing ... Oxytocin is also what they give you if you aren't birthing your baby fast enough. How novel that it is also linked to bonding and connection. I would never have guessed that part in a zillion years. Honestly, I can't wait to read your blogs. They always make me think, think, think.
Posted by Cocoalove (Flexwriter) on April 4, 2006 - Tuesday at 11:53 PM

Well, there's a whole lotta sheeeet that I have to research because I'm a philosopher, I have a desperate need to GET it! I'm excited that I can see love in a more logical light! Crazy about Oxytocin, maybe all the "induced" babies are more bonded from the start?
Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on April 4, 2006 - Tuesday at 11:56 PM

I can't say that I actually read my Nat'l Geographic this time around, I'll have to get that one out from under the coffee table leg (hehe just kidding I love NG!!), but this was an awesome blog. I loved it. I am not too into the whole love thing, but I certainly love crushin..I shall go around running in place when I see cute guys. Yay!
Posted by Altruistic KeMari 47 on April 5, 2006 - Wednesday at 5:38 AM

That's pretty awesome. I'm a nerd, but I didn't read national geographic this month. Thanks for dropping that knowledge on me. And I apologize for using that phrase.
Posted by Petey on April 5, 2006 - Wednesday at 8:01 AM

Dopamine. So that's what it called huh? Let's just say I'm strung up on Dopamine right now.
Posted by Miss Eve on April 5, 2006 - Wednesday at 8:03 AM

It's all making sense now, isn't it?
Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on April 5, 2006 - Wednesday at 8:06 AM

So the moral is. When you think you're in love, just remind yourself it's a mental illness and go the psychiatrist and get some Wellbutrin or Lithium to counteract that OCD. Oh, oops sorry. I forgot to tell you I'm a pragmatist and I don't believe in love. But, it doesn't mean I'm not a nice person. This is beautiful work though. Kisses, love. (but not really because I don't believe in love :)
Posted by LakerBunny on April 5, 2006 - Wednesday at 12:41 PM

*She reads this and laughs her ass off! This just goes to show you that love is not what you think it is. But I'm still in love with love, it must just be the Oxytocin kicking in! Damn, I love the philosophy of science~

Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on April 5, 2006 - Wednesday at 12:49 PM

This was the 1st I heard of anything like that, but I agree 100%
Posted by Ms. Kay-Kay on April 5, 2006 - Wednesday at 2:09 PM

Yea i heard that love thing is pretty much like a drug. Think it has the highest damn number of fiends to lol
Posted by *JoE sez: stop savin my pics to your harddrive ;P on April 5, 2006 - Wednesday at 2:51 PM

I like you on Dopamine
Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on April 5, 2006 - Wednesday at 2:59 PM

no WONDER i act like such a dork regarding that special someone...
Posted by that's miz dork to you on April 6, 2006 - Thursday at 6:57 AM

That is fascinating stuff. I'm not surprised though- brain chemicals are amazing. I want a love drug- do you think they can bottle it?
Posted by Celina Mirabai on April 7, 2006 - Friday at 10:42 AM

Wow.
Posted by kiraannbaby© [janee] on July 13, 2006 - Thursday at 12:00 PM

Isn't this cool?
Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on July 13, 2006 - Thursday at 12:08 PM

Really interesting blog. Thanks!
Posted by Christine, US Ambassador of Love on July 13, 2006 - Thursday at 12:09 PM

Sure explains a lot, huh?
Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on July 13, 2006 - Thursday at 1:35 PM

my hubby and I are at that not-so-high point of our marriage (we got the kids to prove the begin bit too) but, we fall more in love and connect more completely everyday. I can't wait for the Oxy in like 10 years, bring it on!!!
Posted by kathryn on July 13, 2006 - Thursday at 3:50 PM

hang in there sweetie!
Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on July 13, 2006 - Thursday at 4:12 PM

Great stuff, hope I get that ultimate Oxytocin some day. Teach me more, PLEASE!
Posted by ROBERT's laptop died Be Back Soon on July 13, 2006 - Thursday at 10:44 PM

Thanks for this info.... Wow, I need some Dopamine right about now.
Posted by LakerBunny on July 14, 2006 - Friday at 11:46 PM

you aren't the only nerd on myspace :)
Posted by the lindsay on July 17, 2006 - Monday at 10:37 AM

you might not say that if you knew my other favorite magazine is Scientific American!!!
Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on July 17, 2006 - Monday at 2:51 PM

am i on crack or did you post this twice....?
Posted by jAh~"who";;3k (Df)(Docd) on August 12, 2006 - Saturday at 6:58 PM

duuh..it says repost..i didnt see that nm..haha
Posted by jAh~"who";;3k (Df)(Docd) on August 12, 2006 - Saturday at 6:59 PM

No comments: