Comment if you visit for goodness sakes!

Comment if you visit for goodness sakes!

Subscribe Now:

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Words and Sticks and Stones... Name calling broken down like bones

what are words for?

They are very powerful. We are taught to use them to enhance, emphasize, devalue or describe. But the real power is not in 'floral' additions to rhetoric, rather in how they are applied. They can cause irreperable harm when they are used to communicate emotional blows. Those are wounds that don't easily heal and the scars impossible to hide. I'm not perfect and in my lifetime I've duked it out with 'poopyheads' on the playground into Rated R rapid verbal assault. I'm not proud, but I've done my share of hitting below the belt from time to time. But I'm so sensitive, I'm not that good at blocking blows and I usually end up on the losing side of a fight. I got hit with a few recently and I didn't have any room on my heart for another scar. I decided to block this time and take pride in words that were delivered intending to bruise my self esteem. I'm going to show you how name-calling (provided you are aware of your self worth) can be softened and worn with pride. Some words I've encounterd that I've decided to re-apply:

Name calling- pain or pride, you decide:


volatile
: Tending to violence; explosive
one that is volatile can often be passionate


whore
: A person considered sexually promiscuous
one who is comfortable in her sexuality, ability to express closeness through the physical


compulsive
: A person with behavior patterns governed by a compulsion rather than self control
one that acts rather than regrets. Impulse is equated with ingenuity


naive
: Unsuspecting or credulous
optimistic


ideological
: One who thinks too much
Of or concerned with ideas. The practice of seeking the coexistence of optimism and pragmatism


saturated
: Unable to hold or contain more; over-full.
better than empty


altruistic
: easily and often taken advantage of
unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness


Currently listening :
Rhyme & Reason
By Missing Persons
Release date: 21 November, 2000

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh God. I think I'm gonna cry. I probably should send you a message or something, but I'm exactly in the same place mentally.
Posted by Cocoalove (Flexwriter) on March 22, 2006 - Wednesday at 9:51 AM

Please do :)
Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on March 22, 2006 - Wednesday at 10:38 AM

this doesnt sound quite cheery
Posted by *JoE the truth in the white lie on March 22, 2006 - Wednesday at 2:56 PM

sorry joe, not all is cheery in my world right now :(
Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on March 22, 2006 - Wednesday at 3:08 PM

I have read a bunch of your blogs today and I give you my highest compliment in one question "How do you already know me?"
Posted by Melanie on April 17, 2006 - Monday at 8:00 PM