Comment if you visit for goodness sakes!

Comment if you visit for goodness sakes!

Subscribe Now:

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The virtues of waiting to start a family

May 30, 2006 - Tuesday


The virtues of waiting to start a family
Current mood: exanimate
Category: Life

I was running with the pod on shuffle this morning and Marianne Faithfull came on with "The Ballad of Lucy Jordan". I got shivers running up the back of my legs and all the way to the base of my skull. I wish I could share this song with the young folks out there. Not because I wanted to depress anyone, but because for me, it speaks a strong message for waiting to start a family. Living your life to it's fullest and feeling as if you've made a good whack at your dreams and never settling is a beautifully peaceful thing. I cannot imagine how trapped Lucy feels. I believe that having love without happiness is worse than being alone. Finding love with fulfillment is the greatest gift you can give yourself. You will be surprised at how your happiness can be a gift to those around you as well. Love alone can come and go easily, we cannot help who we love, but finding love with compatibility, satisfaction and understanding is my personal Holy Grail. It's ok to want it all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

10:22 AM - 8 Comments - 17 Kudos
I totally agree with waiting to start a family. The desire for that stability is something I have personally thought about, but it is because the options when you have no roots are endless.
Posted by Melanie on May 30, 2006 - Tuesday at 11:16 AM

Stability can be found in other ways without selling yourself short.
Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on May 30, 2006 - Tuesday at 11:19 AM

I'm always torn on this issue. I wanted to have children early because my parents were so much older and I felt didn't understand me. The on the other hand, I believe people should wait because often they don't understand the entire responsibility it is to have a child. Overall, its a hard decision to make.
Posted by Cocoalove (Flexwriter) on May 30, 2006 - Tuesday at 12:47 PM

Well, isn't Lucy Jordan a sad sad sight to see. At 37, life should just be starting out for her, but instead she feels trapped. This is the case with so many women I know. They are so intent on making everyone else happy and forget to make themselves happy. Sometimes you have to be selfish to survive love.

With that said. This song embodies a lost dream and hopes unfilfilled. It's never too late for anyone. If there's one thing this song reminds me of, it tells me that life is too damn short to be unhappy singing at the rooftop, fantasizing of what could be. Seize the moment. That's what I say. That was my take of the whole thing.

Thanks for sharing Nichole.
Posted by LakerBunny on May 30, 2006 - Tuesday at 11:37 PM

Sad song, gave me the chills also. But on the other hand, I'm 33, have done a lot, and seen a lot of the world. One of these days, I want a child or two, and am afraid of that not happening.
Posted by Christine, US Ambassador of Love on May 31, 2006 - Wednesday at 1:16 AM

the song part..i can't relate..I'm not a woman..not so worried about having a 'family'..the first part however...speaks volumes to me...as I know someone..I love her dearly...she makes me immensley happy..BUT...nothing is ever going to come of it..for a few reasons...I've accepted that fact...but doesn't make me love her any less nor make me any less happy when I'm talking and after i've talked to her.....getting to the point of what I'm agreeing about...I'm a better person because of the happiness she brings me....it's been proven a few times after I happen to be going somewhere after talking to her....I radiate an energy...or a positive light...that brings people to me rather than away from her....kind of like the energy I must have been radiating at the tom petty concert...lol....generally though..people don't like me..so I must just have a neutral or negative vibe that I put out........although and however...if people don't give me a chance because of a neutral vibe..it's their loss
Posted by jAh~"who";;3k (Df)(Docd) on August 12, 2006 - Saturday at 4:28 PM