Comment if you visit for goodness sakes!

Comment if you visit for goodness sakes!

Subscribe Now:

Tuesday, May 2, 2006

Understanding homelessness

Last weekend I went out with a friend who's been asking me to go out for some time now and I never wanted to go because I seem to always have something else going on. I'm so glad I finally went because we had such a nice time at this chic place in Belltown, The Queen City Grill. After a really chill evening of drinks, conversation and fabulous Ahi apps, I walked out with a glow I hadn't had in weeks.

But, just like a lot of things lately, my glow was quickly doused by a bucket of yuck. You see, I was doing a little people observing of a couple of girls at the next table over. One of them asked the other to cover the bill of $90 when it came because she "forgot her wallet" and only had a few singles on her. As we all happened to leave at the same time, we all walked past a homeless man selling the local homeless newspaper named "REAL CHANGE" (instead of panhandling, these guys get lisenced to buy the papers and sell them for $1 which I believe is a $.50 profit). I think it's a positive program and was pleased to see the girl who paid the bill ask her friend if she could have one of her singles. The second girl refused going off about how she is a single mom who works hard and doesn't get child support and it's a rack of BS that these freaks can't do it if she can and she won't support their laziness. As the other girl argued that this WAS this person's job and the pay was terrible, but being homeless makes you less than desireable when interviewing for jobs. The other one responded about how she can't afford to support them at this point in her life. But the woman can expect her friend to pick up a $90 FRIGGING TAB???

I've been sick about the way people view the homeless. I run everday at Green Lake and today I saw a woman on the bench with her bags turned to the side with tears in her eyes. He skin was leathered from the sun and she was holding an old picture. The lake was packed and no one even looked at her. I wanted to stop and talk to her. But what was I going to say? That I understand how she feels? That I can somehow brighten her day? Unlike the Greenlake stay-at-home moms with their $500 baby joggers and their half million dollar homes on East Greenlake Drive (don't ask me what they cost on the "good side" of the lake).

Who am I really but another single mom trying to make it in the world? I'm just like anyone else. I'm just one step away from being that lady on the bench crying over something she's lost.

I've cried a lot this past couple of weeks over losing a cat, losing money, and rejection. I want so much that I don't have, just like everyone else. But what I do have is compassion and empathy. I never can understand what brought every individual to the streets, but maybe tomorrow, I'll think of something to say. Maybe tomorrow, I'll stop and ask her about the picture she clutches. Maybe tomorrow.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

last friday when i got paid, i watched a homeless man come into the store where i cash my checks and try to buy the cheapest cigs there was and he didnt have enuff money to buy them, so this black guy beside me gave him the 25 cents he needed... i felt like i should have done something, but i just stood there.. so when i left the store and went across the parking lot to go to another store, i saw that same man walking, so i looked in my wallet and found all the ones i had, equalling to be about 7 dollars, and i rode back to where he was and gave it to him. he was very thankful and he made me feel like a million bucks. he said "thank you for working, and please dont ever stop because they made me and look where i am" i dont know what he meant, but whatever it was, he was almost crying. i just told him that i have been without a job and i have two kids and i have struggled too and somehow made it out ok, so i knew that ppl need help sometimes. I try to always give as much as i possible can, cuz i know from experience that any little bit helps, cuz when i didnt have a job, i lived off a few dollars a week, with 2 kids. ppl didnt help me much, but i dont let that break me from giving back when i can. even if u dont know what to say to her, just go and make her smile, bring her some food, or drink...anything will make their day better....
Posted by im naked before you on May 2, 2006 - Tuesday at 3:55 PM

Kinda reminds me of what I saw yesterday

I was on my way to the mall in my car and there was this older white guy going up to cars on the side of the road asking for change. I was way in the back and knew he wasnt going to make it back to me in time but I sat back and observed. There were a bunch of rich folks in BMW and Mercedes trucks who wouldnt even wind down their window to tell the guy they didnt have any change. The only person who rolled down their window and gave the man something was a black guy in a old beat up Lincoln.
Posted by *JoE sez: stop savin my pics to your harddrive ;P on May 2, 2006 - Tuesday at 4:32 PM

Lost time I came outta pocket myself was the last time I was in NYC some guy asked me for like a quarter and I just dumped all my spare change on him (musta been like $3 worth)
Posted by *JoE sez: stop savin my pics to your harddrive ;P on May 2, 2006 - Tuesday at 4:37 PM

yeah, I got my pocket picked in NYC last Fall with my 2 kids and I had to hustle on the street to get the $28 to get my frieakin' brother's brand new Audi out of the parking lot. I felt like shit cuz I had the money and I had to sell our theatre tickets for that night to get out of trouble. It's humbling having to be so vulnerable to have to ask for money.
Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on May 2, 2006 - Tuesday at 7:11 PM

seriously..you are way to awsome of a person....at least it seems so; based on blogs and our meeting each other....that homeless newspaper thing..is kind of cool sounding...it's not so much charity as it is...something else in that case....some of them "homeless" are a bit to demanding when it comes to askin if you can spare any change...I always want to go off on them about how I may not have it as bad as them...but I have to work for my money...nothing is handed to me on a silver platter.....I feel bad every time they ask m eif i have any change and I say no, when I do, but most of the time i DO need my change....anyway...there's maybe a point in all of my babbling somewhere..if not...oh well..haha
Posted by jAh~"who";;3k (Df)(Docd) on August 7, 2006 - Monday at 5:59 PM