Comment if you visit for goodness sakes!

Comment if you visit for goodness sakes!

Subscribe Now:

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Katrina: Gulfport, Mississippi 9 months later

The feeling is indescribable as I drive my rental car along the bumpy highway. She had given me a tour the day before, but I wasn't prepared. I really couldn't fathom what I was about to see. Only three rolls of film, so I put the camera down on the car seat next to me and rolled the window all the way down. The humid salty air painted my skin as it whipped into the truck. I caught myself holding my breath until I choked. She would interject into my desperate babbling from time to time to give me some "locals-only" insider knowledge as to what I was seeing. I was happy to hear her voice as it meant my own incessant chatter and bewilderment could rest for a moment. On the other hand, her words created a sad desperation of their own to mark my heart like few other experiences.
Photobucket
I felt like I was stuck in a quasi-world dangling between the decadent South, a war-zone, a third world country, and an old settler's baron land. Addresses marked on dying hundred-year-old oak trees with nervous spray paint. It was hard to tell where we were without the markings. I kept imagining the horror of those stranded or too weak to evacuate. The shrimp boats catapulted into the trees, tucked away in the marsh.
Photobucket
I'm back the second day on my own this time. Fully stocked with film and free to stop and soak in the surroundings as I catalog what I can see in 35 mm roll after roll. The beach is closed except for carefully combed sections of pristine white Gulf-Coast sand. The scene is scant so I casually stroll off to the restricted portions of the waters. Here is where I find a treasure trove of wreckage and a host of saturated items representing lifetimes of memories and accumulation of personal stories. Mattresses rotten and algae trimmed caught under the haggard, broken docks. A microwave oven clinging to the branches of an old oak tree lofting in the shallow beach waters. No one will ever know the extent of the items that have taken up residence in the warm, welcoming waters. A ladies handbag washed up on shore adorned with proud barnacles sits lonely in the sand.
Photobucket
Once elegant Southern palaces with their garage-conversion slave quarters sit gutted. Foundations remain as a newfound patio for the luxury of a FEMA trailer.
Photobucket
The nearby cemetery is disheveled as if having fallen prey to pipe bombs. I close my eyes and suck in a deep sigh as her words float in my mind "yes, there were caskets floating in the flood waters."

Photos: copyright 2006 Nichole Leigh

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That has great imergry in it. I like this.
Posted by kiraannbaby© [janee] on June 13, 2006 - Tuesday at 10:07 PM

Thanks, I wrote it on the plane ride home before I saw my pictures.
Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on June 14, 2006 - Wednesday at 8:49 AM

Wow. The pictures make me so sad. I remember when it was all intact ... it just seems so surreal.
Posted by Cocoalove (Flexwriter) on June 13, 2006 - Tuesday at 10:14 PM

I know, it was very emotional. I chose not to post the more extreme photos, so it's even worse.
Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on June 14, 2006 - Wednesday at 6:49 AM

It is a high price, but it's true that the area is more united and the racism is better now that so many people have moved in to help clean it up. There are some people that still treat the other "colors" as invisible. It's very subtle what is there now, but much better.
Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on June 14, 2006 - Wednesday at 6:45 AM

My God...nothing has been done to improve this mess? I can't believe it. I believe it, but I can't believe these areas have been deserted and turned into no-mans lands. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Posted by Christine, US Ambassador of Love on June 14, 2006 - Wednesday at 5:49 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]

Believe me Christine, so much has been done. There's a massive labor shortage to get things done. Really, it's the worst for the poor because if they can't get charity help, they cannot afford the laborers to do the work. The local hotels are filled with construction and relief workers. Time will mend this wound, but it is a slow healing one for sure.
Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on June 14, 2006 - Wednesday at 6:48 AM

When I think of Katrina I just feel so blessed that my Mississippi and New Orleans family members made it up here safely and are doing well.
Posted by Miss Eve on June 14, 2006 - Wednesday at 8:46 AM

You are so lucky to be able to say that. I know they all still need so much love!
Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on June 14, 2006 - Wednesday at 8:48 AM

These are the blind pictures no one see. Very bad situation so many lifes put in limbo and everyone taking advantage of the situation.
Posted by ~Sleepless In Chicago~ on June 14, 2006 - Wednesday at 6:05 PM

This is so true. I know in the Nothwest, we have heard so little after the fact about the ongoing struggle. I honestly could not believe it was still so horrific.
Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on June 14, 2006 - Wednesday at 11:10 PM

devestating and haunting, but so necessary to see. Katrina can't be forgotten. Thank you for sharing this...it was beautifully done.
Posted by the lindsay on June 14, 2006 - Wednesday at 10:26 PM

Thanks! I had to share, as a way to purge. It was very emotional
Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on June 14, 2006 - Wednesday at 11:08 PM

Rebuild Iraq? What about the N.O.? Thats right here.
Posted by *JoE sez: stop savin my pics to your harddrive ;P on June 15, 2006 - Thursday at 5:05 PM

word.
Posted by nichole leigh :: photographer on June 15, 2006 - Thursday at 7:14 PM

somber..but i like the bit of humor thrown in with 'all rights and wrongs reserved' about the pics lol..at that.
Posted by jAh~"who";;3k (Df)(Docd) on August 12, 2006 - Saturday at 5:01 PM