Comment if you visit for goodness sakes!

Comment if you visit for goodness sakes!

Subscribe Now:

Friday, March 28, 2008

Think it's funny when white people rap?

Well, it might surprise you to know that the first rap video ever performed was a WHITE woman. 1981's post punk sexpot Debbie Harry in her unforgettable band BLONDIE had booties shaking white and black with her funky fusion Rap :"RAPTURE"

I played the 45 when I was 11 till the thing warped. When the record broke, I would flow while my sister boxed the beat. Black people have embraced the style and taken it to places noone could have foreseen. Shoot, It's good stuff, and no white person was taking the initiative to step up and follow Debbie's lead so it now is what it is. I love it now, always have. I don't give a rats behind who's delivering the beat, just as long as it's still alive.

It wasn't Eminem. It wasn't Vanilla Ice. Hell, it wasn't even NWA or Easy-E.

It was just a woman with a cat-tail on her shorts and her band called Blondie.




By the way, Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight" was a single was on the charts 6 months before this, but without a video! It hit 36 on Billboard as opposed to Blondie's 1. But when you try to Google history of rap, very few other than Wikipedia give Blondie (and Queen for that matter) any credit. Like it or not, white folks were a part of it, they were good at it, and they were instrumental in popularizing hip-hop for those that follow today.

2 comments:

THEBIGHAIREDPOET said...

I can actually remember Blondie but didn't recall what her real name was. I never thought of her as a rapper but I know she had a few good songs that I just loved. Okay, I'm getting older...memory isn't what it used to be. I just know I jammed when I played her music. This was an interesting piece of history love.
Miss you and hope we talk soon.
Love, Julie

Anonymous said...

Wiki info:

Grandmaster Flash sampled "Rapture" on his classic single "The Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel". In 1996 Foxy Brown (featuring Jay-Z) used the song as the base for her hit, "I'll Be". It was also sampled by Won-G for his single "Caught up in the Rapture", and was interpolated by rapper KRS-One on his 1997 single "Step into a World (Rapture's Delight)". In 2000 it was sampled once more by Glamma Kid on his single "Bills 2 Pay". In that same year Destiny's Child sampled it on their single "Independent Women Part I". The song was also sampled by The Jungle Brothers in the song "In Days 2 Come" from the album "Done by the Forces of Nature". Elements of "Rapture" were recreated for the Joe Pesci song "Wise Guy", in which he raps in-character as Vincent LaGuardia Gambini from the film My Cousin Vinny.