Comment if you visit for goodness sakes!

Comment if you visit for goodness sakes!

Subscribe Now:

Sunday, March 23, 2008

My letter to Randy: About being an Artist & taking the step to oils

Randy,

Thanks for taking the time to write.

Apologies for my screwed up keyboard, I spilled oj on it and my wireelss one is out of batteries. I hate to edit emails so it might not look perfect.

All that aside, I wanted to get back to you. I'm just getting over pneumonia but I'm definitely on the upswing. RE: your questions:

My education could go on and on... I love education (clearly) and it adds to my credibility on paper...but it really has nothing to do with me being an artist. I was an artist long before anyone taught me. I feel fortunate to have had natural talent since before I even entered school. But being naturally talented held me back for some time. I didn't see that the people trying to teach me could really show me anything other than new medium or tools. I am not a fanm of formal education in the arts. I am however a fan of understaning art (history, other artists, etc). It was only when I found a mentor or two that I really understood what it was to learn and grow. The few people who have been that for me taught me to find things from within, never taching me something I didn't know. Example: I was afraid of building up the paint when I used oils. I would never go far enough in fear of ruining the piece. Once I became able tto build the piece up (and pull it back from time to time) I was always producing pieces that felt so amateurish. Sometimes it's not about the amount of paint or time spent, it's about not being afraid of going there. That is a classic byproduct of acrylic painting. It takes several SEVERAL pieces to get accustomed to oils, but it is worth it. It will take you to such another level as apainter. When the rush is taken out of the process and replaced with finesse you will be creating a piece like never before. The patience part is hard to overcome as well but it is so much more fulfilling. BUT the best part is oil always looks better than acrylic. Even as soon as a week, Ac. loses it's lustre that no glaze can mimic. The colors stay richer as well. If you ever do show/ sell, your work is also worth more.

That's about all I can think of for now. I'd love to tell you more if you like.

No comments: