Comment if you visit for goodness sakes!

Comment if you visit for goodness sakes!

Subscribe Now:

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

On Liberty and getting bit by a matty daag

ooookay doookay.

So there was this interesting thing that happened the other day.

I was looking over the string of texts from this woman that I tried to help. I should have seen the writing on the wall. Everyone in her life that had known her since birth told me DON'T DO IT! Don't help her, SHE'LL BITE YOU!.

 I didn't want to believe someone could be so full of malice and I ignored their warnings and tried to be nice, helped anyway.

 I got bit.

 Now I'm somehow the bad guy. AND I'm getting all kinds of "I told you so's"

Weird isn't it? I remember learning about this in a philosophy of law class at UW about how when common law was transferred from the UK to America, the phenomenon of helping others or looking the other way... Philosopher John Stuart Mill (Utilitarianism) spent a lot of time sussing out the doctrine of the Good Samaritan. Should one be punished for NOT helping another in need? The argument is that the one in need is no worse off than they were whether you help them or not, but helping them can sometimes put the Good Samaritan in harm's way.

All I know is I could have done a lot more, but once bitten, twice shy...