Comment if you visit for goodness sakes!

Comment if you visit for goodness sakes!

Subscribe Now:

Thursday, December 7, 2006

What do YOU want from me?

Everybody wants something from the people they are near or communicate with. Sometimes though, people don't want to admit to that person what it is they want from him/her. They are either hiding something, embarrassed, scared, or just plain shy. Everyone wants something from the people we are with, whether it be companionship, love, entertainment, advice, ego strokes, friendship, etc.

The trouble is, most people don't ask for what they want from you. They just hang out until they get it and when they aren't getting it, they either adapt or go away. Worse yet is when they get it and skate leaving you feeling like a victim of a slick swindle.

The other day a friend called that I don't talk to very often and the conversation just went limp. I kept thinking, what do you want from me? You keep calling and we never have anything to say. If it's such an effort to pull out words., how can we relate? So all that's left is: what does she WANT?

Last night, a casual friend called and asked if I could go have a drink. The whole time we were together, I kept wondering to myself, "What do you want from me?" I'm pretty sure I had it figured out, but I just couldn't understand the point. Have I just become so incredibly jaded that I assume everyone's motives long before I give them the chance to prove their integrity?

I wonder when someone wants to start a friendship, why? I mean it all made sense when I was younger and thought everyone was genuine and we were exploring and finding what we wanted in life. But why at our age seek out new friends? I am suspicious that this new person has failed miserably at friendship. What else could it be? If THEY are so great, they should have sufficient people to fill their lives and have little room to start a new venture. They would be spreading themselves too thin.

It's easy to see why single men and women would seek each other out, but coupled men and women, what are they seeking in others? What are others seeking in them?

I don't necessarily want you all to think I'm pessimistic. I just want to know. Not to be rude, or get my ego stroked. I just wish I knew. From him and her, and YOU!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's good to know people....some people...regardless of their age..don't have as many friends as they shoudl or would like too..OR maybe they just finaly realized they needed to find new friends...lots of variables there...me personally I like to read your blogs...you seem like a cool person...can't hurt to know you..that's my why in regards to you....and you are one of the few people in the world who didn't run in fear away from me......so yeah...your a cool person to know...that's enough in my eyes....
Posted by jAh~"who";;3k (Df)(Docd) on December 7, 2006 - Thursday at 9:50 PM

It's so weird you wrote this ... because I was thinking it today. We're in the pessimistic phase of thinking about friends (yes I read you said you weren't being pessimistic, but hellow there). I think that it's so much easier to be cynical of people's motives as we get older because we have more experiences (a lot of them negative) to grow on. I must admit that the older I get, the less I am impressed by people and the more I pay attention to their intentions. Great blog ... your introspection truly helps me out. Peace, C
Posted by Cocoalove (Flexwriter) on December 7, 2006 - Thursday at 11:13 PM

friendship is such a funny thing. You seek companionship like you would kinda in a relationship but w/o all the hangups you get from that. Just another shoulder to lean on :). Another way of putting it is its the brother/sister relationship you always wanted to have as a kid with some one more compatible to what you like that you always wanted
Posted by *JoE sez: stop savin my pics to your harddrive ;P on December 8, 2006 - Friday at 10:02 AM

I always ask the same question about desires to be a friend with someone on line. I believe it is the thought maybe there is someone out there for you could be better then what one already has. Maybe hoping that something evolves from a message or comment .Anyone whose single can waste more time here then finding that true friend in real life for reaching out for that emotion support. Here one can leave a relationship very easy with one click of the mouse .In real life its hard to just give it all up theres so much commitment.. My desires here is a bit egolistic, though there is hope i will meet someone too who will fill my emotional needs.Something that plays on many who are profesionals and works 12 hour days and are single.and no time to go out and hang after work. To me that drinking scene is dead and can kill .Drinking and driving dont mix. Hope you got a ear from this write .My desires is to read and complete a book im writing Hope i did not offend you glad to have a friend in you your comments is always needed, so i know where i stand in my writings. So if you still want to be friends just come in once and while and read my blog who knows you may get to know me gurl.
Posted by ~Sleepless In Chicago~ on December 9, 2006 - Saturday at 5:00 AM

I have a good number of great people in my life but I find I still try to seek out more...not because what I have in insufficient. I think its human nature. It can never hurt to add to the list of amazing people you can relate to...Joe had it right. Kind of the brother/sister relationship...support without the issues a real relationship has.
Posted by Dani on December 9, 2006 - Saturday at 1:10 PM

Friendship? Not your heart, soul or wallet that's for sure! ;)
Posted by Ms. Karen on December 9, 2006 - Saturday at 1:17 PM